Did you know that water is the primary substance of the human body? Our bodies are made up of 70% water and our brains are made up of 85%! When we are at a 1% deficiency of water in our body we will become thirsty. If we are at a 5% deficiency we will get a slight fever. A 10% deficiency we will become immobile. And a 12% loss of water would actually result in death.
The importance of water for a healthy body is much greater than most of us realize. With all of the other beverage choices today, many are reaching for soda, an unlimited variety of coffees and juices loaded with sugar. Most of those substitutes actually dehydrate us! There is no other alternative to water that will keep the river of life flowing within us.
Here are some powerful reasons to drink water daily:
- Weight loss. Water is one of the best tools for weight loss, first of all because it often replaces high-calorie drinks like soda and juice and alcohol with a drink that doesn’t have any calories. But it’s also a great appetite suppressant, and often when we think we’re hungry, we’re actually just thirsty. Water has no fat, no calories, no carbs, no sugar. Drink plenty to help your weight loss routine.
- Heart healthy. Drinking a good amount of water could lower your risks of a heart attack. Studies have shown that those who drink more than 5 glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to suffer a heart attack than those who drank less than two glasses.
- Energy. Being dehydrated can sap your energy and make you feel tired. Even mild dehydration of as little as 1 or 2 percent of your body weight. If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated — and this can lead to fatigue, muscle weakness, dizziness and other symptoms.
- Headache cure. Another symptom of dehydration is headaches. In fact, often when we have headaches it’s simply a matter of not drinking enough water. Though there are lots of other causes of headaches, dehydration is a very common one.
- Healthy skin. Drinking water can clear up your skin and people often report a healthy glow after drinking water. It won’t happen overnight, of course, but just a week of drinking a healthy amount of water can have good effects on your skin.
- Digestive problems. Our digestive systems need a good amount of water to digest food properly. Often water can help cure stomach acid problems, and water along with fiber can cure constipation (often a result of dehydration).
- Cleansing. Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body.
- Better exercise. Being dehydrated can severely reduce your athletic ability, slowing you down and making it harder to lift weights or perform cardiovascular activities. Exercise requires additional water, so be sure to hydrate before, during and after exercise.
If you are unsure of how much water you should consume daily a general rule of thumb is to drink half of your body weight in ounces. So for example if you were 150 lbs. you would need to take in 75 oz of water. And as stated above if you are exercising you need to consume more accordingly.
Take care of yourself and your body. Replenish its most vital nutrient! You’ll be amazed at the results.
Yours in Wellness,